Andy Herron has been representing parties in commercial cases for nearly 30 years. Mr. Herron regularly represents banks, other businesses and individuals before Florida’s state courts, federal district courts and bankruptcy courts in a wide variety of cases. His practice includes bank litigation of various types, prosecution and defense of business torts, partnership and shareholder disputes, insurance coverage disputes and disputes involving Ponzi schemes and financial frauds. Mr. Herron also has extensive experience in the arena of bankruptcy and debtor/creditor rights, regularly representing debtors, creditors, interested parties and litigants involved in bankruptcy cases or judgment collection. Additionally, Mr. Herron is certified by the Florida Supreme Court as Circuit Court mediator.
Lead Counsel Engagements
- Lead counsel for national bank in defense of $6 million case alleging negligence,fraud and civil RICO; jury returned a verdict for the bank.
- Lead counsel for national bank in multiple federal cases seeking over $5 million in damages connected to Ponzi schemes run by bank customers; dismissals and summary judgments entered in favor of the bank by the trial courts.
- Lead counsel in successful collection of substantial investment into Ponzi scheme;
- Lead counsel in collection of $1.2 million judgment, resulting in substantial recovery.
- Lead litigation counsel for local community bank, handling commercial foreclosures and collections, bankruptcies by borrowers, and the like.
- Lead litigation counsel for local aircraft engine repair shop.
- Lead counsel in successful prosecution of substantial fraudulent transfer lawsuit.
- Lead counsel in successful representation of magazine publisher in $1 million dispute with insurer over unpaid business interruption claim.
- Lead counsel for two family members in $90 million+ dispute over family business.
- Successfully defended against wrongful involuntary bankruptcy petitions filed against prominent individuals in Puerto Rico.
- Represented successful buyer of Islamorada marina and bar from a bankruptcy estate.
Professional Activities and Memberships
- Past member of the Ad Hoc Committee on Rules and Procedures of the United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- Member, Bankruptcy Bar Association for the Southern District of Florida
- AV Rated by Martindale-Hubbbell
- Florida “Super Lawyer” as published by Thomson Reuters (2007, 2009-2020)
- South Florida Legal Guide “Top Lawyer” (2012-present)
- Florida Trend “Legal Elite” (selected years)
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 11th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 1st Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- Florida State Courts
- University of Miami School of Law (J.D., with honors, 1990)
- Articles and Comments Editor, University of Miami Law Review
- Swarthmore College (B.A., Biology 1987)
- Herron Ortiz 2013-2018
- Herron Jacobs Ortiz 2005-2013
- Homer & Bonner 1997-2005
- Kelley Drye & Warren 1995-1997
- Jenner & Block 1994-1995
- Stroock & Stroock & Lavan 1990-1994