Kevin P. Jacobs has broad experience litigating in both federal and state court and various arbitral forums, including FINRA, JAMS, and the American Arbitration Association. His diverse practice includes class action defense, banking litigation, securities arbitrations, intellectual property litigation, employment litigation, consumer fraud defense, insurance coverage litigation, and other corporate defense work and counseling.
Lead Counsel Litigation
- Lead counsel for publicly-traded shipping conglomerate to enforce twenty-year old indemnity provisions in purchase and sale agreement,
resulting in complete indemnity relating to asbestos claims.
- Lead counsel for publicly-traded shipping conglomerate to enforce twenty-year old indemnity provisions in purchase and sale agreement, resulting in complete indemnity relating to asbestos claims.
- Lead counsel defending publicly-traded company and its subsidiary in claim of trade secret theft relating to alleged misappropriation of software, resulting in dismissal of plaintiff’s claims for fraud on the court.
- Lead counsel prosecuting counterclaim on behalf of a publicly-traded education company in trademark action, resulting in settlement requiring plaintiff to cease use of its infringing mark.
- Lead counsel in suit on behalf of publicly-traded pet supply company to enforce its trademark rights, resulting in permanent injunction against defendant.
- Lead counsel prosecuting defamation suit on behalf of publicly-traded education company against attorney, resulting in a settlement payment from attorney’s insurance carrier.
- Lead counsel defending duty free and travel retailer against copyright suit, resulting in early dismissal of all claims.
- Lead counsel for publicly-trade medical supplier in various non-competition cases.
Other Litigation Highlights
- Defended publicly-traded telecommunications company in technology trade secrets case brought against recently-acquired subsidiary, resulting in favorable settlement.
- Defended numerous publicly-traded companies in consumer class actions in state and federal court and before the American Arbitration Association under its class action rules.
- Represented realtors and defendants in False Claims Act cases.
- Defended medical products manufacturer in defamation suit, resulting in summary judgment against plaintiff.
- Defended airline against a defamation and tortuous interference suit brought by travel agent.
- Defended companies in various employment-related disputes, including ones involving claims under the Fair Labor Standards Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Civil Rights Act, and for forms of discrimination or retaliation.
Investigation & Government Actions
- Represented publicly-traded and privately held companies responding to US Department of Justice, state attorney general, and state insurance commission investigations and enforcement actions.
- Conducted numerous Sarbanes-Oxley, False Claims Act, and other whistleblower-related investigations.
- Defended various companies against regulatory and enforcement actions by the Federal Trade Commission, the Securities Exchange Commission, Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, Financial Industry Regulatory Authority, Commodities Futures Trading Commission, and federal and state departments of education.
Transactional Work & Advisement
- Drafted and negotiated various license agreements, employment contracts, arbitration agreements, and other business agreements.
- Regularly advise businesses on employment, insurance, compliance, and contractual matters.
Professional & Civil Activities & Memberships
- Board President, Legal Services of Greater Miami Foundation (2015-2022)
- Board Member, Legal Services of Greater Miami Foundation (2015-present)
- Board, Executive Committee, Audit and Finance Committee, Strategic Planning, and Investment Committee Member, Legal Services of Greater Miami, Inc. (2011-2022)
- Chair of the Ad Hoc Committee on Rules and Procedures for the United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida (2010-2014)
- Member of the Ad Hoc Committee on Rules and Procedures for the United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida (2001-present)
- Director, Federal Bar Association, South Florida Chapter (2010-2014)
- Tocqueville Society Member, United Way of Miami-Dade (2015-2016)
- Ranked in Chambers USA in General Commercial Litigation (Florida) 2021
- AV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Florida “Super Lawyer” (2012-present)
- South Florida Legal Guide “Top Lawyer” (2008-present)
- Numerous commendations earned while serving in the U.S. Army Military Intelligence Corps (1988-1992)
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- Florida State Courts
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 11th Circuit
- University of Florida College of Law (J.D., with honors, 1998)
- University of South Florida (B.A., Philosophy 1995)