Based in the Jacksonville office, Charles Brumby represents banks, contractors,
commercial landlords, and creditors in litigation throughout Florida. Charles recognizes
that no two commercial lawsuits are the same, and that each matter demands its own
unique approach. Having begun his legal career with the Miami-Dade Public Defender’s
office, Charles uses his extensive trial experience to begin preparing business disputes
for trial from their inception. From his years of representing institutional clients, Charles
understands the value of obtaining positive results while minimizing costs and risks
throughout the litigation process.
- Obtained summary judgment for lender against business and guarantor,
overcoming the debtors’ fraud defenses. Won dismissal of the debtors’ direct
appeal on jurisdictional grounds. Successfully defended appeal of trial court’s
refusal to reissue judgment to allow debtors to timely appeal. Darren Payne,
M.D., LLC, et al. v. Cadence Bank, N.A., 2020 WL 1649695 (Fla. 5th DCA, July
- Represented contractor in jury trial against property owner. Prevailed on
contractor’s claims against owner for nonpayment, as well as on contractor’s
defenses to owner’s claims for fraudulent lien. Won severed foreclosure bench
trial, obtained all attorneys’ fees and costs incurred by client, and acquired title to
property at issue for client following foreclosure sale.
- Prevailed on defendant business’s motion for judgment as a matter of law, filed
after multiple-week federal jury trial on competitor’s unfair business competition
claim, nullifying the vast majority of substantial jury verdict.
- Successfully collected entire sum of several large unsecured judgments obtained
by subcontractor against contractors that failed to pay for services rendered.
- Obtained judgment featuring permanent injunction preventing competitor from
contacting client’s customers, and discharging an alleged substantial debt
claimed by client’s competitor.
- Defended a transferee in a unique dispute regarding ownership of hundreds of
thousands of dollars of funds from wire transfers. Prevailed on summary
judgment, on direct appeal, on entitlement to attorneys’ fees, and on appeal of
the order granting entitlement to attorneys’ fees. Gazarian v. Pino, 182 So. 3d
654 (Fla. 3d DCA 2015); Castiglioni v. Pino, 207 So. 3d 337 (Fla. 3d DCA 2016).
- Represented creditor with unsatisfied judgments in excess of one million dollars
against a business and individual. Prosecuted fraudulent transfer claims against
insiders and other entities. Obtained favorable resolution for client.
- Defended a bank against a customer’s allegation that the bank improperly froze
his account and withdrew a significant amount of funds without his authorization.
Obtained a dismissal with prejudice at the pleading stage. Intertech Trading
Corp. v. JP Morgan Chase Bank, N.A., 17-21091-CIV, 2017 WL 7792705 (S.D.
Fla. Aug. 28, 2017).
- Defended business in class action lawsuit brought by consumers for selling
allegedly defective products. Obtained dismissal at the pleading stage. Koski v.
Carrier Corp., CV16-25372-CIV, 2017 WL 9324356 (S.D. Fla. Aug. 18, 2017).
- Successfully represented a bank in a federal lawsuit brought by its customers
alleging that significant funds were wired from their account without authorization.
- Defended a developer and its affiliates in a series of lawsuits brought by
purchasers arising out of unsuccessful real estate transactions.
- Brought lawsuit on behalf of a broker against an international real estate
conglomerate for refusing to pay a multi-million dollar commission as part of a
large, multi-state transaction.
- Florida “Super Lawyers” Rising Star, 2017 — 2021
Professional and Civil Activities and Memberships
- The Florida Bar
- Florida State Courts
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida
- Miami-Dade Assistant Public Defender, 2011 — 2013
- University of Miami, J.D., 2010, magna cum laude
- University of Georgia, B.A., English, 2007